My friend Mark of the world famous Markosa Studios who has recorded all of my CDs gave me a new Yamaha dreadnought guitar that had a busted and missing head stock. he said “Here make a wall decoration of some kind out of it, it’s no good for anything else”. It laid around the shop for 5 or 6 years and since I had some slack time I decided to do the right thing … fix it.
I used a heat gun to remove the fret board and the truss rod and cleaned everything up to fresh wood for re gluing.
gling up a block findirng the right angle finding the glue angle fron an old Drawing of a martin guitar
I glued up a block of Mahogany that I thought was a good match, much bigger than I needed because I wasn’t sure how I would make it work because it wouldn’t take the strain with out some extra help.
I carefully calculated the right angle which took some time and and sawed it and sanded it true and flat then sawed it to a basic shape and glue it to the neck.,making sure it all lined up and had the old Martin Guitar angle.
cutting a rough angle finding the angle reducing the thickness to 1/2 inch with a warner planer cutting to a basic over sized shape carving to rough shape using shim stock to protect the neck removing a small piece of wood for the truss rod end piece Glueing in the strips with the truss rod installed making sure it is flat and out of the way of the fret board drilling for a bamboo dowel Bamboo chop stick ready to trim off carving a little closer to the neck wood rasp to further the progress Carving with a knife made from a straight razor Getting closer Gluing the fret board down with a rubber exercise strap veneer finished carving and trimmed installed some cheap tuners with some 1917 gibson tuner bushings all I need now is stain and finish after making sure it will hold